Monday, May 28, 2007

Keep On Keepin On

Nina had a good day, let's start there. Her belly distention subsided, from 29 cm to 26 cm and she continues to be a very vigorous little girl. Again the doctors assured us this course of action is not being driven by Nina's behavior but rather due to the recent circumstances with her sister. That being said they want to rule out any congenital condition, i.e. present at birth.

She was very active and I got to hold her for 2 hours while Judith and Appie (Judith's mom), looked on. I even got to change another poopie diaper. The plan is still to hold her feeds for another day and proceed with the barium enema but her continued bowel activity continues to be a good sign. The surgeons from Temple will also consult and work with the NICU docs but we are hoping they might resume feeds tomorrow or Wednesday. Her weight was up to 3 lbs 4 oz, but 1 oz was probably the arm board where her IV is placed, nonetheless progress.

Judith and I are overwhelmed with your thoughts and kind words for Livia. We hope you will continue to share your thoughts with us and Nina when she is older so she will know what a special miracle she was part of. We will be having a private memorial service for Livia some time this week where she will be placed with her sister Georgia and Grandpop DiYenno, we know he will take special care of them.

Enough with the sad stuff, on a lighter note Judith and I actually partook in some fun tonight and went and saw a movie, Spiderman 3. Honestly don't waste your money, but some cool special effects. We went to our favorite store, Target and a sporting goods store, although it was to buy flip flops for Judith. We would have stopped at Rita's but we are now on a modified South Beach diet, so no special treats at this time.

Please continue to keep Nina in your thoughts and prayers

10 comments:

Casey's trio said...

Judith & Jason,

I am so happy to read that Nina is not "acting sick" and that the actions the docs are taking are just precautions. I will continue to pray that she grows strong and makes her way out of the NICU and home with her family where she belongs. I am truly sorry about the loss of your precious Georgia and Livia, but they are smiling upon you and giving strength to sweet Nina.

God bless,
Casey in CA

Anonymous said...

Dear Judith, Jason, and Nina,

Our hearts and all of our strength are with you. We send so much love to you and hope and pray that each coming day will bring health, peace, and happiness.


Beth, Azzedine, Manelle, Lina, and Clare (Beth's Mom)

abby said...

We're glad to hear that Nina is doing better...please let us know if you are in need of someone to talk to in person or anything like that; we're in the area and we've been through something that approximates your experience since we also lost one of our daughters.

Anonymous said...

Dear Judith & Jason,

I am so happy to hear that Nina is doing well. I will continue to keep all of you in my prayers. You two are the most amazingly strong people I know!

God Bless you,

Betsy

Minnesota Momma said...

I'm glad the docs are being cautious with Nina. I will continue to keep her in my prayers and hope that she is home with you as soon as possible.

I was truly sorry to read about your precious, Livia. My heart, thoughts, and prayers are with you all.

Anonymous said...

Judith, Foxy and Nina-
We are sending our love and prayers and our true sorrow for your loss of both Georgia and Livia. We have you in our prayers and thoughts and have great hope about the future for you and little Nina. Take care and God bless! Love you-Shep and Kevin

Anonymous said...

I found out about your story and this site from Kristin Hedgelon, whom I work with. I ask Kristin everyday how things are going and I keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Erin Germino

Anonymous said...

Judith and Jason,

It's great to hear that Nina is acting well and that you got to spend quality time with her. She will be particularly in our thoughts over the next couple of days with the testing. Every night each of you - Nina, Mom and Dad - are in our prayers.

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Judith, Jason & Nina,

I was heartbroken to hear about beautiful Livia's passing. I can't begin to imagine what you must be going through right now, but I continue to admire you both for your strength and ability to focus on what must be done to move forward and make sure Nina is okay, growing and staying healthy so she can come home soon. As always, all three of you are in my thoughts and prayers. Once again, thank you for allowing us to be a part of your journey; and, especially for giving us the opportunity to be touched by beautiful Georgia Mary and Livia May - I feel certain that they are now Nina's Guardian Angels and are closely watching over her (and both of you). May God Bless all three of you and give you the comfort and strength you need at this time.

Roxane

Anonymous said...

Dear Judith and Jason,

We are so very sorry about Livia's passing. Now she is at peace with her sister, and we will continue to pray for you both so that you have the strength needed to help Nina get healthy and go home! Sounds like she's well on her way!

Love,
Andy, Diane, Braeden and Ethan