Realized today on Nina’s 7 month birthday that I never told the babies birth story.
On January 17 (16 weeks) we found out that we were having three girls. Jason was crazy with excitement and I was just thrilled all the babies were growing and were healthy. Also in the back of my mind I thought “girls do better in the NICU than boys”…
At 18 weeks I went to hospital for my first triage visit for contractions. Was sent home.
Morning of Feb 17 I lost mucus plug, called Dr and went to hospital…was not having contractions at this time and Resident on call checked me and said I could go home, she then called Dr to tell him I was good to go and he asked if she checked me ‘digitally’. She checked me and I was a fingertip dilated. Thank goodness my Dr made her check me again b/c I would have been discharged….do not want to even play that ‘what if’ game. I was admitted to hospital that day and the next day had a cerclage. I was on strict bed rest, using a bedpan and my husband was my rock during the first few days where I cried so much in fear of losing the babies. After the first few days, I settled in, had bathroom privileges, had to wearing those stockings, changed rooms I think 3 times, hooked up to contraction monitor, drank tons of water, and was in the bathroom all the time. I was put on Indosin (a drug to quiet the uterus) for contractions.
One happy moment was Jason and I were watching the Oscars and I felt one of my babies kick for the first time. It was Baby C. That was the first and last kick I felt.
The days melted into one another… my mom came every afternoon to visit me. I would watch the clock waiting for her visit everyday and Jason came every night.
I hated being there…but it was the best thing for the babies and I was in it for the long haul. Fast forward to March 9 and 10 --I was given my steroid shots to help the babies lung development if I were to go into labor. …Night of March 10 I could not sleep for the contractions were a bit much. I remember having them in the middle of the night and yanking off the belt and going to the bathroom thinking I could stop them by just peeing… That next morning March 11 I felt OK, my inlaws came to visit and I was feeling good. I was showing them how big my stomach was getting and I was happy. They left around 1 and I started to watch some TV. Around 2, I felt some pressure like I had to have a BM. I went to bathroom and I felt something start to come out…I reached down and it felt like a sac…I called for nurse and was quickly put in bed--- legs higher than head position in the bed. Resident came in with lots of nurses and I was freaking out. They checked me…I saw the babies on the monitor, they were fine…They paged my Doctor, he came in, I asked him to please just take one baby and keep the others in, but my cervix was now at 7 and there was not way to stop this. My husband had come to hospital by now and was with me.. It was horrible…Babies were coming now. I was wheeled down for C-section and was prepped while Jason waited by himself in hallway.
He came in and was by my side while our parents waited. Before they started Dr Snyder (who was to be one of our NICU Docs, asked me before the section started if we wanted them to intervene. We said yes.
And then the babies were born. Georgia actually was born with a slight bruise on her leg from kicking her way out. Then came Nina, then came Livia. And you all know the rest of the story.
I wish I had a happy story of the birth where a Dr did not have to ask if they should intervene. And all the babies lived and blah blah blah. But this is our story. Prematurity sucks.
2 comments:
Yes, prematurity does SUCK! I, too wish you had all three of your girls here. It seems so unfair that you have just one, but what an amazing little girl she is.
I often feel like Logan is looking over Cooper, and I know Livia and Georgia are watching over Nina. My heart breaks for you, Judith. Sending lots of hugs your way!
Prematurity more than sucks! It does seem though that the girls knew exactly how long they had to cook before a MD would even "offer" to intervene. I'm so thankful that they made it as long as they did. You made the difference for them. I just wish all three would have been able to thank you for that as adult women.
All of that bedrest sucks, but knowing that you did everything that you could for them is priceless. I had the indocin too...HATED IT, and hate prematurity!
Post a Comment