I always try to remember to update the blog about developmental and physical evals b/c when Nina was a baby I sought them out on other blogs like a madwoman:)Last week we went in for Nina's 24 month(adjusted) Neo-natal follow up evaluation.
Early Intervention stops adjusting for prematurity after 2 years, but the follow-up programs adjusts until 3 years old. So this visit was based on Nina at 24 months old adjusted.
Stats:
26.8 pounds (80%) (gained 1 pound in 6 months)
32 3/8 length (30%) (grew a little over 2 inches in 6 months)
18 3/4 head (50%)
Development: her language and cognitive skills are well above normal. They had her do most of the stuff I mentioned in my EI post.
Her gross motor skills were slightly immature-they said she had mild low muscle tone and want a PT eval (which we just had with EI, so I called for a do-over from the County)
They want her to be able to jump from the last step to the floor. I thought she was just a cautious kid...and she needs to work on walking up the steps without using our hand so much for support. I thought she had trouble with the steps b/c she's a bit tiny.
Maybe if I had her tap dance for them.....
C'est la vie....
I guess we'll know more after she gets a through PT eval next month.
Nina is missing one canine tooth which is bizarre to me. She has 17 teeth in right now. Her molars have not come in which is fine, but the one canine missing is weird. Hopefully it's just super late and will erupt someday. If not, I hope there's an adult tooth up there. Nothing I can do about it, but get an x-ray, and I chose not to put her through that.
So in all, she's doing great. Dr said we are lucky given her shit beginnings in the hospital.
5 comments:
I have decided Judith that one reason I like you so much is your blunt analysis of Nina's beginning: "shit." Sums it up nicely I think. :)
As to the jumping ... what is it with the need for them to jump by 2? Seriously. Eliza can run (and I mean run) unaided on a 4 inch balance beam but her jumping was delayed and is still very crappy. So what happens? A points deduction! Just like in the Olympics, but in our case it is the preemie Olympics.
Sounds like Nina is doing just dandy!
Sounds like Nina is doing wonderfully. Brie was missing the same tooth. It finally popped in a few weeks ago. She also does not have her molars.
Just it let know from experience, she may never have that one canine tooth. One of my sons (who was born at 41 weeks and weighed exactly 7lbs) did not / does not have the two teeth on either side of his front two teeth and he never will. Therefore, it has nothing to with Nina being born so early.
He is now 7 and we have been seeing a pediatric dentist since before he was 3. The dentist told us that adult teeth grow off of the roots of the baby teeth and since he did not have those baby teeth, he probably would not have the adult teeth. Sure enough, x-rays have shown he will never hae those teeth. His front teeth appear larger and they will move his other teeth forward with braces when he gets older which isn't just a bad thing since my other son's teeth are too crowded!
According to my sons' dentist, this problem is pretty prevalent and many people have this issue including many famous actors.
Just to let you know...
I admire your strength and I am so sorry for all the heartache you have had to endure. Nina is precious.
Thank you for posting Nina's updates. I'm in the mad woman searching phase at the moment so I am very grateful. It gives me hope for my own little girl, it sounds like Nina is doing brilliantly.
I know that tap dancing feeling :(
I don't know, I was a cautious kid and I'm certain that I would never have jumped from a step to the floor at her age!
As this is the first time I've commented here, I want to say how terribly, terribly sorry I am that you lost Nina's sisters. Georgia Mary and Livia May. All three of your girls have beautiful names. My heart breaks for you and your family. xo
I am glad she is doing well :) About the canine, those tend to take their sweet time, so hopefully it comes in soon!
Post a Comment