Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Day 24 (part II) Georgia having surgery tomorrow

This time last night Georgia was great, I was holding her and all was right with the world for 45 minutes. Tonight is a different story. Georgia had a pretty uneventful day, but when 2nd shift nurse came on she noticed Georgia's stomach looking more distended than last night so she called Dr over and they put her back on ventilator and had a heart ultra sound to check on PDA. The PDA is open and tomorrow Georgia is having her first surgery at 25 days old.
Let me try to explain with my crash course in NICU... hopefully this makes sense... The PDA (patent ductus arteriosus) is a fetal blood vessel near the heart which is supposed to be closed in order for the blood to flow correctly to heart and lungs. The problem with an open PDA is that too much blood flows to the lungs making it harder to breath, Livia and Nina's PDA's were open too, but medicine worked for them.
Tomorrow a team from Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is coming in to do the surgery. The Dr who is performing it Dr Spray is highly regarded as the best( I checked him out on the CHOP website)
It will be OK.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll say a prayer or two for her today.

Anonymous said...

I have been praying for Jason, you and the girls every night. I check in daily to see their progress. I look forward to hearing about a successful surgery and more kangaroo time very soon.

Anonymous said...

We are always thinking of you, Jason and the girls and check the blog every day. As all the girls are in our thoughts and prayers every day - we'll say extra prayers for Georgia today.
Amy, Larry & Zachary

Unknown said...

We are all praying for you and the girls with an extra prayer for a successful surgery for Georgia today.
All our love,
Chris, Kristin & Owen

Anonymous said...

We will all say extra prayers for Georgia today...

Love, Sheryl, Eric and Erin

Anonymous said...

I too will say a prayer for her. You all are in my thoughts!