Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Gowns and Gloves

So Livia has pneumonia/staph infection...she is in isolation...we have to wear gloves/gown to touch her. She has the care of one nurse each shift so other babies are safe from Livia's cooties. Yep it's just great for our morale...
They stopped her feedings as of now and will reassess in the morning to see if they can be restarted.
We are hopeful/pray the 2 types of antibiotics she's on will kick the S__ out of her infection and the lasix they give her to drain our her lungs will work. It's a 7-10 day cycle so we'll just wait and see.
She had her 10th blood transfusion today and will have another tomorrow.

Nina is OK she's eating a lot and her vent settings have gone down so that's good. Her lungs are not the greatest so they give her lasix to help her pee out the fluid.
As I held her today, she was putting her fingers in her mouth and she discovered my hair and pulled it a bit.

Father Genuardi came to visit the girls and said a blessing for them and me(I need it)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judith,
My Alyssa had the same infections. We did the ten day antibotics, too. She had to have a test to pinpoint the exact type of staph infection, so we had to do another 10 days on the new meds. You might want to ask them to do a check to find the exact type of staph, so you can avoid the 20 day round of antibotics. Once she recovered from the infection, she did wonderful. I hope your girls continue to improve. I am praying for you guys!

Sarah Furlough said...

Unfortunately, infections can be all too common in the NICU. Of course, just b/c they are common in the NICU doesn't mean they don't scare us parents. I will continue to be in prayer for your sweet girls. I am so glad that your priest blessed your girls, I hope it did lift your spirits a bit.

Hang in there, Livia is a strong little girl who will fight very hard to get stronger. I am glad to hear Nina is doing well, as she grows her lungs should start to look better!

Anonymous said...

Judith & Jason - Just wanted to let you know that I'm praying for you and your beautiful little girls. I hope that Livia works through the infection quickly and can get back to being held by Mommy & Daddy! There really is nothing better in this world than to hold your baby!

take care!

-Jen Monaco

Anonymous said...

As always, all of you are in our thoughts and prayers- Livia is a feisty little peanut and she will pull through this.
We miss being down there with you and the girls.
Love Heather, Vin, Ada and Benny

Anonymous said...

Just a note to say we are keeping
up with the progress of Nina and Livia. We think about you every day and we continue to pray for
you and for your little girls.
Sandy Fouts

Anonymous said...

Dear Judith and Jason, we're glad you got to hold Nina yesterday but are sorry to hear about Livia's tough day today. We're sending you thoughts of strength, peace, and love (with an extra dose of healing for little Livia).

Love,
Betsy, Bruce, Lily and Alice

Anonymous said...

Extra prayers today for Livia......and for Nina, Mom & Dad.
Diane Z.

Anonymous said...

You know these girls are strong - look at Nina already focusing on hair pulling! That's so amazing! Thinking of you all - will be sure to say extra prayers for Livia today. Love, Sheryl, Eric and Erin

Anonymous said...

We just received the "Fox" Blog. The girls are so sweet. Thoughts and prayers from the Tax Dept.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear that little Livia is having a rough time right now...all of these ups and downs must be exhausting... but Livia's gonna tough it out!
Glad to hear hear Nina's doing so well!

Shannon said...

I am so sorry to hear about the struggles that you are going through. Just keep remembering that the NICU IS a roller coaster. Ashton had almost every infection possible in the NICU and I NEVER thought he would come home....22 months later here we are!

Thoughts and prayers for all of you...

Anonymous said...

Judith and Jason,
So sorry to hear of Livia's infection. It sounds like the doctors are on top of it and I'm sure you'll be holding her again in no time.
Erin